Get Advice

Get Advice

How to get free, impartial and confidential advice

If you need advice, information or guidance, Denny and Dunipace Citizens Advice Bureau is here for you.

Advice in Person

It’s also easy to get in touch with us, in whichever way suits you best. You can drop in to see us at our offices. You'll find more information about locations and opening hours on our Visiting Us page.

Phone us

Give Denny CAB a call to get information about our services including opening hours and specialist services or to arrange an appointment if you are an ongoing client. 

Have a question about a new Universal Credit Claim? You can call Citizens Advice national Help to Claim advice line on: 0800023 2581 or come to our drop-in

Want to know if you are getting the right benefits and entitlements? Call the Citizens Advice national Financial Health Check Service on: 0800 085 7145 or come to our drop-in

Temporarily there is no general phone advice service available at Denny CAB. We are working to resolve this and apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

•    Call our bureau directly (admin line only)  - 01324 823 118
•    Call the outreach (to book an appointment)  - 01324 503 290

Email us

Send us an email with information about the issue you’re having and what type of advice you would like. Email is a useful way to contact us if you don't need an answer urgently. We’ll aim to get back to you within 5 working days. Please note that we cannot give individual advice over email..


Visit the Citizens Advice Website for detailed information on a wide range of topics, including guidance on benefits, debt, money, work, housing and much more.