Welcome to Denny and Dunipace Citizens Advice Bureau

Here at Denny and Dunipace CAB we provide free, confidential and independent advice to everyone who needs it. Our aim is to ensure individuals do not suffer through a lack of knowledge of their rights and responsibilities, lack of knowledge of the services available to them or through an inability to express their needs effectively.

Issues we can help you with

We provide information and advice on a range of issues:

  • Benefit Entitlement (including Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, PIP, Job Seekers Allowance and Employment Support Allowance)
  • Debt
  • Consumer rights
  • Employment problems including rights on being made redundant, dismissed or on leaving work as well as change of contract issues
  • Housing issues (homelessness, neighbour problems)
  • Legal and relationship issues
  • Veterans
  • Tax problems (including council tax); utility problems; nationality problem….

…and many more!

Specialist help when it’s needed

We also have specialist case workers who can help with challenging DWP decisions at tribunal and dealing with complex benefit issues; evictions and repossessions and formal debt remedies such as Trust Deeds, Debt Arrangement Schemes, Sequestrations and Bankruptcies.

Denny and Dunipace Citizens Advice Bureau also assists members of the Armed Services Community, veterans and their families through the Armed Services Advice Project.

We also provide financial education for local community groups and can also arrange for one to one financial education for adults through the Money Advice Service.

Complaints Procedure

Denny & Dunipace Citizens Advice Bureau has a complaints handling procedure. Please email bureau@DennyCAB.casonline.org.uk to request a copy of the complaints leaflet to be either posted or emailed to you.